Under My Creative Umbrella
Children's Book Artist
Licensed Artist & Designer
I am a professional, commercial artist celebrating over 25 years in the business of making art. My first children's book, Something to Crow About, hit bookstore shelves in 1990.
I have illustrated 46 books, some of which I have also written. My children's book art has received numerous honors you can find below. My favorite praise for my children's book work was from The New Yorker magazine. It called my dimensional work "tromp l'oile marvels"!
In addition to children's books, I illustrate articles for magazines and newspapers like Family Circle and The Boston Globe. My art and designs have been used for logos, packaging, wine labels, giftware, textiles, wall art and greeting cards.
I was meant to be an artist. While taking piano lessons as a child, rather than practice, I colored my sheet music. I still love to color and can't play the piano. I grew up looking at beautiful things. My father took me to art museums on my birthday. I look back now and see how everyone around me was making things: my father built furniture, carved wood and painted, my mother sewed and wrote, my brother made homemade movies with his action figures and my sister painted. My grandparents were creative also making things, sewing and quilting.
I'm a former Pratt Institute and Moore College of Art & Design professor. I am currently faculty at Marywood University where I teach undergrad and graduate courses. I am especially honored to teach in the MFA Program for working professionals Get Your Masters with the Masters. I earned my Masters Degree, in illustration, from this wonderful program.
I also consult one-on-one for projects of all kinds and run children's book workshops with my friend and super talented colleague, Melanie Hall.
A former New Yorker, I now live in the cute, small, town of Lansdowne, PA, where I volunteer on the borough-appointed Arts Board after co-chairing the Lansdowne Arts Festival for fifteen years.
I'm grateful for my wonderful, creative life everyday. Thank you for visiting.
- Simon & Schuster
- Harper Collins
- The Boston Globe
- Family Circle
- Denver University Law School
- Harvard Magazine
- Charlesbridge Publishing
- Dial Books For Young Readers
- Marshall Cavendish
- Bradbury Press
- Walker & Company
- St. Martin's Press
- New Jersey Life
- Yankee Magazine
Some Awards & Recognition:
- Best 100 Books for Reading and Sharing, The New York Public Library
- Book of the Year, Bank Street College
- Gold Award (2 time winner), Oppenheim Toy Newsletter
- Gold Award, National Parents Publishing Association (NAPPA)
- Children's Choice Award
- Outstanding Science Trade Book, National Science Teachers Assoc.
- International Book Award Honor, Society Of School Librarians
- "Pick of the List", American Booksellers Association
- Recommended Reading List, Reading Rainbow
- Recommended Reading List, The New Yorker
- Pa. Young Reader's Choice Award
- New England Book Show Book Award
- Notable Social Studies Trade Book for Young People
- Textbook Adoption Book, Georgia State Department of Education